Is it mandatory to get alcohol counseling after a DUI? 3 Answers as of August 03, 2011

Was alcohol counseling mandatory if found guilty of a felony DWI (in NYS) in 1991? It was a result of a 3rd DWI within 4years. My license was restored in 1997. I found it is required now, but don't know how to find out if it was then. I need this information for a very important matter regarding a child custody issue. DSS wants proof that I had alcohol counseling and since it's such an old incident, DMV and probation have destroyed the proof I completed the counseling. I figured if I could get proof that it was mandatory to complete it to get my license reinstated and I had my license restored, it would be the obvious conclusion that I did complete it. Hopefully this will satisfy DSS. When did it become mandatory to get alcohol counseling for DWI's in NYS?

It is generally up to the judge and/or probation department.
The DMV and courts give you the option of Drinking and Driving classes, but they are not mandatory. You will have to complete them to get a conditional license, but they cannot force you to attend unless the judge makes it a condition of your sentence. You can get the transcript of the sentencing from the stenographer and find out whether the court ordered it or call the attorney and see if his file indicates that it was ordered, but that does not prove that you attended or completed the course. To prove that you need the certificate or some records from the person who ran the classes.
Screening is mandatory, not necessarily treatment.