Is it likely for me to go to jail for driving without a license on a first time offense? 8 Answers as of September 18, 2014

I have court on Monday and I'm am very nervous.

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
If you need specific legal advice, I recommend you privately consult with an attorney. If you charged with a criminal offense and cannot afford to retain a lawyer, the court may appoint you a lawyer depending on the charge. Generally speaking, in most jurisdictions, most judges may favor a lenient sentence if a person is convicted as a first-time offender and they have a decent history. However, there are also significant license sanctions if convicted as well. The potential license sanctions may be more expensive and costly than the possible punishment from a conviction at court. License sanctions are administered separately by the Secretary of State. I would recommend you obtain legal counsel. Convictions for traffic offenses may carry significant, expensive sanctions against your license and potentially against your vehicle (vehicle impound or immobilization depending on the charge) as well.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
Probably not, though it would be important to know why you did not have your license in the first place. For example, if you had your license suspended and are on probation for that offense, this would make it more likely that your probation officer may recommend a short jail time.
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman | Ezra Goldman
You should get a lawyer to accompany you. What court?
No it is not likely. Do you have your license back?
This depends on the judge but in many cases you will not go to jail and can work out a plea to something lesser, if you are in the process of getting your license.
    VALENTE SCHARG & ASSOCIATES | DEAN VALENTE
    Depends greatly on judge & prosecutor and your past record (i.e. Why was your license suspended?) but usually small chance of jail on 1st offense DWLS.
    Unlikely. Most courts will give you fines and court costs and send you on your way while some may place you on probation. Jail for such an offense is almost unheard of. Consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney in the area who is familiar with the practices of the court you will be appearing in.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    It all depends on many other factors. Any other crimes, if you are working, why license was suspended, other issues at the time.