Is it legally worth changing the residency status of my girlfriend? 13 Answers as of January 10, 2011

I am 38 born and raised in the United States. My girlfriend is Russian and is on an expired F1 visa. She and I are staying together no matter what. How can I get her legal and would it be worth it?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
Your ability to sponsor her as a petitioner, since she is already here, is after you would marry her, if that is your desire (must be for love by both of you, and not by fraud just to get the green card.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/10/2011
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
If you get married to her you will be able to petition for her, and she will be able to get her green card. It would be definitely worth to petition, especially before she ends up in removal proceedings, since then it would be much more difficult and expensive.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/8/2011
Pauly P.A.
Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
If you should decide to marry your girlfriend, then you could apply for lawful permanent residence for her. You need to consult with an immigration lawyer concerning the details in order to be fully informed.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/3/2011
Law Office of Baoqin Wang
Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
You can sponsor her green card after you get married. With the help of qualified attorney, she would be able to get her immigration status fixed.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 12/28/2010
Law Offices of Daniel Richardson
Law Offices of Daniel Richardson | Daniel R. Richardson
The only way you can get her legal status is by marrying her and thenprocessing an adjustment of status.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/28/2010
    Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
    Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
    If you and your girlfriend get married she will be able to adjust status in the US, she will get a greencard and be able to work legally here so likely she will think its worth it since shell be able to work and stay here with you without fear of deportation.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/27/2010
    Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
    Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
    Once you and your girlfriend are married you can file a petition for her and she can apply for her Green Card by filing for adjustment of status. As to your question "would it be worth it," if you want your wife to be able to legally live and work in the U.S. without the threat of being arrested and deported, being able to travel in and of the U.S. without facing a 10 year bar, and the both of you having the piece of mind of not having to look over your shoulders for ICE to arrest her, it is
    certainly worth it.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/27/2010
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    Marry her. Then file a combined family petition with an Adjustment package. Your girlfriend might be subject to removal (deportation).
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/27/2010
    441 Legal Group, Inc.
    441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
    Yes it is worth it. I highly recommend you petition for her, but of course you would have to marry her first. As it stands now if the Department of Homeland Security stops her or locates her she will be locked up and deported back to Russia.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 12/27/2010
    Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC
    Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC | Kirk A. Carter
    Can you get your Russian girlfriend legal status, i.e. a green card. Probably. You indicate that she is in the US on an expired F-1 visa, which means that she entered the US and was inspected which is a requirement for adjustment of status to permanent residence, a/k/a green card status. So long as she did not leave the country, does not have a criminal record, or any other disqualifying factors, if you were to marry her you could sponsor her as the immediate relative of a US citizen and she could be processed here in the US within approximately six months. Whether it would be worth it? That is a hard question to answer when it comes to relationships, however, you indicated that you and she are staying together "no matter what" so I assume that you are prepared to make a long term commitment to her, so I assume that the relationship is worth it, and marriage as an institution provides certain benefits, including immigration benefits, which are not
    available to unmarried couples. Good luck!
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 12/27/2010
    Calderón Seguin PLC
    Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
    I am not sure I understand your question about it being worth it or not. Your girlfriend is currently illegal. She has no status in the U.S. If you are a U.S. citizen, then you should marry her, and file a petition on her behalf and she can file for permanent residence at the same time. It would seem to me that of course, it is worth it to be legal and free to do what you want, but I think that is a personal question.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 12/27/2010
    William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
    William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
    Your girlfriend needs a new Visa. Student Visa, Tourist Visa, Work Visa. You could get married then you file an I-130. You must remain married for two years then even if you divorce she can apply for citizenship. If you divorce prior to two years she gets deported. Depending on her job skills or work history she may be eligible for a work visa. If the girlfriend is on an expired visa she is subject to
    deportation. She cannot fly or get a drivers license and cannot come into contact with the
    police. More states are passing laws to apprehend illegals even on traffic tickets.
    Answer Applies to: Tennessee
    Replied: 12/27/2010
    The Vega Law Firm
    The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
    It is legally worth it if your girlfriend intends to stay in the U.S. She entered the U.S. legally and if she married you, a U.S. Citizen, she would be able to adjust her status within the United States without having to leave the U.S.

    Please see an immigration attorney for further guidance.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 12/27/2010
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney