Is it legal to use other company's logos in your website? 4 Answers as of January 18, 2016

In the case of displaying the logo of a particular company in a website, to be used ONLY to take whoever clicked on the logo the that company's official online store, would that be legal? I would not be providing any goods or services, I would in fact be helping them on getting more visitors.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
You can not use, or include on your web site, another party's logo without their express permission, even if your purpose is to help it obtain additional business.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 1/18/2016
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
It depends on how you are using the logo. It appears from your question that you are using the link to provide advertising for the company? You should ensure that anyone seeing the logo knows that the logo is owned by the particular company and all of the rights to the logo are owned by the owner of the logo. It would be best to receive permission first.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/11/2016
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
The likely answer is NO - you cannot use another company's logo without permission. The logo of the other company is a trademark - either under the common law or it may be registered - federally or in a state trademark system. Trademark protection is aimed at preventing customer confusion regarding the ownership, sponsorship and affiliation of users of the mark. Thus, your unauthorized use might cause confusion as to your relationship with the other company - a violation of their trademark rights. Ask for permission. If granted - you are all set. Otherwise, why risk a lawsuit?
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 1/11/2016
Michael M. Ahmadshahi
Michael M. Ahmadshahi | Michael M. Ahmadshahi, Ph.D., Esq.
No, you cannot! That would be trademark infringement unless you receive their permission.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/11/2016
Click to View More Answers: