Is it legal to terminate someone over the phone? 2 Answers as of August 15, 2011

Is it legal to be fired over the phone then have your last check and separations papers mailed to you. I was scheduled to work Wednesday, August 10th, 2011 and instead if going into work I received a call for my immediate supervisor saying that I was terminated and did not need to come in that day. It's Friday, August 12th and I've yet to receive my last check or any separation papers and want to make sure my employer is following the law in regards to m termination.

Law Office of Eli M. Kantor
Law Office of Eli M. Kantor | Eli Kantor
An employer can terminate you over the phone. However, he must pay you your final pay check within 24 hours. According to Labor Code Section 203, an employee's wages continue to run for up to 30 days, until they receive their final paycheck.
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
While you can fire someone over the phone an employer is still required to give them their last paycheck immediately upon termination. Failure to due so violates the Labor Code and subjects employer to a penalty of one day's pay up to a maximum of 30 days.