Is it legal to take a paternity test without the mother or child knowing? 1 Answers as of July 24, 2011

I am paying child support for a child who may not be mine. Can I get a paternity test done without the mother of this child knowing? The child and the mother live in Puerto Rico.

Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
You could potentially get a DNA test done without the mother knowing. However, more likely than not, it would not be admissible in court, but it could give you direction. That's not to say it would not be valid either way; however, in most circumstances, a court ordered DNA test follows very strict protocols and also the mother is typically tested to increase the validity of the test. If your first test indicated the child was not yours, then you should petition the court for a court ordered DNA test. I would suggest retaining an attorney to assist you as the matter can be complicated, and if you have already been established as the legal father of the child, DNA may not even matter.