Is it legal to shoot a paintball gun in a backyard or in a scenic shop/warehouse (theatre)? 3 Answers as of February 28, 2012

I need to shoot a paintball gun at a mannequin in clothing in either a scene shop theatre or in a backyard for a couple of hours. Is this legal and what precautions if any should I take? Would it help if the gun is a bright color like red or pink?

Many cities regulate and prohibit discharge of any weapon, and frequently include BB guns, air guns, etc. A paintball gun is a version of an air gun. You'll have to contact your city attorney's office and see if you can get a straight answer to whether they include them in their ordinance. Outside is the problem. Inside in private property would not be a violation.
I can't see what is illegal if you have the permission of the place and no one is hurt.
The Law Office of Stephanie M. Arrache
The Law Office of Stephanie M. Arrache | Stephanie Arrache
You may want to check with local law enforcement or a local attorney as cities tend to have their own rules. But as a generality, in California it is not per se illegal to shoot a paintball gun in your backyard or a warehouse. Having a brightly colored gun would be advisable if the gun will be viewed in a public place. You also want to consider the civil repercussions if any one if any property gets injured from a stray pellet.