Is it legal to share two songs and give copies of those songs? 5 Answers as of January 10, 2013

My Youth Pastor would like a song that I bought for myself from ITunes, but he wants it done NOT illegally, so I want to know if it’s Ok to share two songs, that are from a College group we personal know, and give a copy of those songs to him legally.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Neil Sussman
Law Offices of Neil Sussman | Neil Sussman
No, it is not legal to make copies of songs and share them, unless you get the permission of the owner of the songs to do this.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/10/2013
Giarmarco, Mullins & Horton | Michael Novak
Only the copyright owner has the lawful right to make copies.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/10/2013
Roe Law Firm
Roe Law Firm | Theodore M. Roe
When you buy a song or album off iTunes, you acquire a personal license. This means that it is for your personal use, not for re-sale and not for commercial use. There are two ways to do this, acquire a copyright license from the copyright holder of those songs (record label, band, song writer, etc (there are often several)) or have your pastor purchase the songs himself and obtain a commercial license. This would likely be the most cost effective method for 2 songs. Bear in mind that the license must be obtained by anyone holding a copyright interest in the music, composer, performer, producer, etc. If they have a registered copyright this information is relatively easy to ascertain.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 1/10/2013
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
Any copying of a song that is copyrighted is illegal unless you have advanced written permission of the copyright owner (who is not necessarily the creator of the song or the group performing it). Furthermore, your paster should not play these songs for anyone other than himself without written permission. There is no exception to copyright law for religious organizations.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 1/10/2013
Lawyer for Indie Media
Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
The easiest and least expensive way for him to get a copy of the songs legally is for him to go onto I tunes and spend a dollar and buy himself a copy.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/8/2013
Click to View More Answers: