Is it legal to require that I live on campus if I never signed an agreement? Posted on July 21, 2011

Junior in college. Wants to live off campus. He did not sign a residential agreement this past Spring. The college says the Junior has to because it is their policy. They say they see residential living as part of an integral part of the student's education. Their policy says the students are required to live on campus unless they are married, 22, live with parents, etc. A residential life agreement was not signed. The bill was received by the college and it shows our Junior as "living off campus". I spoke with the billing office and they affirmed that. The college found out that several kids were planning to live on campus and signed them up for room draw and they say they have to live on campus. If they don't we will be billed for campus living anyway. Can they strong arm you to living on campus even though a residential life agreement was not signed for the upcoming Fall and Spring Semester and the Junior did not sign up for "room draw" and the billing office and financial aid office show him as living off campus and sent the bill for Fall and Spring reflecting that?