Is it legal to confiscate a camcorder and tape from a college student journalist in Washington DC? Posted on April 25, 2011

I am a college student journalist with a well-known national news affiliate. I was recording a supervisor-approved news story that included illegal activity. As I was taping the illegal activity, the police arrived and the individuals I recorded fled the scene. The police confiscated both my camcorder and tape without a warrant. Is this legal? The officer took my tape claiming it as evidence and took the camcorder explaining the police precinct might not have the equipment to view the tape and also stated '...we'll use your camcorder in case our equipment doesn't work.'I have read the Shield Law for Washington, DC (where the incident occurred). Please, help me further understand this situation. Thanks in advance.