Is it legal to change property tax bill to my name which will qualify for senior citizen exemption and senior freeze exemption on this home? 2 Answers as of October 02, 2017

Mother died in 1999 and left home to my older sister and I with the understanding that my younger sister could live there free. Property taxes are billed to my younger sister and paid by my older sister and myself. Property is titled to my older sister and me. Only person that lives in home is my younger sister. I do have another home that I pay taxes on and receive these exemptions.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of T. Phillip Boggess | T. Phillip Boggess
If neither of you are living there, you cannot claim a homestead exemption. If you can't claim the homestead exemption, you don't qualify for a senior exemption.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 10/2/2017
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
You only get those exemption on your residence, one home.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 10/2/2017
Click to View More Answers: