Is it legal to be fired after I got hurt on the job, was told that my job would be waiting for me but was fired when asked for workers compensation? 1 Answers as of August 10, 2015

I fell on the stairs at a remodel job. Homeowner was acting as his own GC and left his stuff all over the stairs. I got a bad sprain and he said not to worry, the job would be there and I had work for life. Similar statements were made in text. He stated in text and in front of witnesses that my work was excellent and I was very professional. I asked for worker’s compensation and was immediately fired in text. I was told I was erratic, unprofessional and many other very slanderous things. I was then told if I filed suit he would report me to the police and prosecute be for criminal mischief and whatever else he could come up with. That was in text as well. What are my options? All I originally wanted was medical to ensure the ankle heals properly.

There is a statute in Florida that prohibits what is called "retaliatory discharge" for firing someone for making a workers compensation claim. I would think you need to hire a lawyer who does both workers comp and personal injury.