Is it legal or is it breech of customer confidentiality on bank side to talk to my boss about what we have spoken about? 4 Answers as of May 05, 2014

I have accounts with a well reputed nationalized bank for almost more than 10 years. Since the past 2 years I am having some issues with the bank and I approached higher level employees. There were some disagreements and conflicts but I still have my accounts with them. 2 days ago, my local HR person (where I work) called me and said that one of the local branch managers from the Bank talked to my HR director (I don’t know the exact details what they both communicated). My HR asked me if I am OK, going through any stress or need any assistance – like referring to employee assistance program. I said that I am going through some stress at work and at home but nothing unusual and did not seek any help. HR did not ask me what has happened with the bank. The conversation ended there and I don’t know what would happen next. I am not sure if the branch manager and my HR director are friends or know each other personally, and had a casual talk about me. And in turn the HR director communicated this to my local HR person to talk to me. My question is – is it legal / or is it breech of customer confidentiality on bank side to talk to my boss about this? I did not tell anyone at the bank where I am working. I don’t know how they know all this information and if it is the right thing to access my accounts or not. Can they file a written complaint or verbal discussion with my HR executives under any clause? Is it appropriate for my HR to discuss this with me based on what the bank has talked to them? Is there any chance that this would all go to my personal file at work?

WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
There are no banker/customer confidential relationships under GA law, so anything may lawfully be repeated/shared.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
Sorry but this is a very complicated matter. The bank may indeed have breached confidentiality. However, it is hard to see how you were harmed here. This situation requires your lawyer to engage in a detailed investigation of the facts and circumstances, and then propose a solution. You will need to retain employment counsel to deal with this. You cannot use a web-site like this as a substitute for retaining legal counsel. Good luck.
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
Not necessarily. You have a right to review your personnel records so you can determine if anything is put in your file.
You need to file a complaint with the bank's headquarters. If the manager talked about your private information to a third party, that could be a violation of the bank's privacy policy.