Is it legal for them not to take a check if I am trying to settle a debt? 6 Answers as of April 28, 2014

I have tried to get them to settle for less because the amount is outrageous. They offered to settle for less if I pay quickly like in the next three months. They want me to pay by phone using my debit or credit card. They won’t give me a paper showing they will take less so I couldn't prove that it was not just a payment. I really need some help.

SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
Call a lawyer for this problem. It is all about how to deal with a debt collector and what to look out for.
They don't have to take less than the full amount. Do not give them any payment without a written agreement and never provide account information.
HARVEY S. MORRISON, ATTONEY AT LAW
HARVEY S. MORRISON, ATTONEY AT LAW | HARVEY S. MORRISON
Main question is "Who is they?" Are you dealing with a private party or is this a commercial matter, such as a credit card claim. It is best to put any settlement agreement into writing to avoid later disputes as to the terms of settlement and performance. I would be reluctant to give them a credit or debit card number, let alone your checking account information. Best approach is to use official checks from your bank - - or, for that matter, from another institution. Do not give them any collection information.
You may want to consider bankruptcy because I would not pay anything unless they give you full payment terms in writing.
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
Debt collectors do whatever they can to obtain money they are owed. Do not give them any money without a settlement agreement IN WRITING. Otherwise it absolutely could look like just a "payment". This is where a lawyer can help. If you cannot afford a lawyer, the advice above is solid.