Is it legal for a store manager to refuse to give me my money back? Posted on July 20, 2011

I bought a few pc parts one Friday afternoon to fix my pc. Not knowing which part is needed, I asked the cashier if I can return the parts not needed and was told sure. I also asked them to double wrap the parts so that they can see if it was opened or not. The following morning I went to return the unneeded parts and was told that they can’t give me the cash back only credit. I then explained to the manager that I did ask if I could return the products, he then said that there wasn’t enough money in the bill to reimburse me, and that if I come back during the week, he will sort me out. I returned on the Tuesday and got the same story. I returned again on the Wednesday and the cashier then gave me the money and I signed that I received the cash. The manager then came to the front and took the money from me and tore up the signed receipt, telling me that he doesn’t have to give me the money back, only store credit. Is this acceptable, or is there something I can do?