Is it legal for someone to be released at a crime scene if there are witnesses who saw them commit the crime? Posted on May 27, 2011

Two girls were read their Miranda Rights and put under arrest after trashing my house and beating on my boyfriend. I was taken to the hospital and the girls got together on a story and turned everything back on my boyfriend. Later, they were released at the scene and even put into the police car where the policeman (young) gave the two 20 year old girls a ride to wherever they wanted to go. Another witness besides myself stated that one young lady had a bat and the other a knife and the young lady with the bat almost hit him. This witness told police that my boyfriend was not the aggressor, and the police recovered the knife & bat. Another witness saw one of the young ladies throw the knife over the fence. How were they released after being read their rights? Is that legal?