Is it legal for a principal to go through my phone just because he took it? 10 Answers as of March 22, 2013

My principal went through my phone because I had it out during class I thought it was illegal for them to through it because it’s a right for privacy.

This is not my area of expertise. You should consult an attorney familiar with this type of situation.
Checking a cell phone by a government official is a search. For this type of search to be legal there has to be a search warrant, consent of the owner of the phone or probable cause.
Principal can go through the phone that you bring to school, because the principal is responsible for everything at the school, including your safety.
Don't you give up some of your "rights" when you enter a classroom? Don't you have to obey rules or are your "rights" paramount and control over all else. Wherever you got the notion about illegality why don't you go there and see what they say about what the principal did. And how do you know what the principal did? And how can you prove anything. what are you trying to do. You want to be kicked out and go somewhere else to school? What are you trying to do?
You can't claim a right of privacy if you had your phone out during class. If you are marching in a parade you can't claim a right of privacy if someone takes your picture while you are doing so.
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
    It is not legal!
    You thought wrong. School officials are in loco parents while you are at school, meaning they are in the place of your parents and you have less right to privacy at school than adults, although the school does not have unfettered right to invade your privacy. If it is against the rules to be using the phone during class, he probably wanted determine if you were communicating with another student, who then would also be violating the rules.
    I would think that it was not wise. But it was not wise for you to have it out then either.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    I'm not sure, what do the school rules state? Have you read them, studied them and understand them? Read the school rules.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Didn't I answer this before? If there is a suspicion that you are cheating on a test by texting someone to have them give you answers, I guess there would be a legitimate reason to check some messages, but only to the extent of the time during which the test was being administered. I do not think that the principal can go "fishing." I am not sure about the phone numbers of people with whom you are communicating by phone. Obviously you would not be speaking to people during class or during a test, so I think that the phone list would be off limits. .