Is it legal for my neighbor to blow leaves from his lawn into my property if the leaves came from my trees? 3 Answers as of October 19, 2012

My neighbor hates trees and the leaves that are dropped in the fall. He has cut down all the trees that were on his property and blows any leaves that come onto his property onto my property. He also tosses twigs and limbs onto my property. PS. I am 88 years old. What a neighbor!

The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy | Robert W. Bellamy
What you are asking is does a nuisance or trespass tort exist here. While he receives the leaves as a act of GOD, he is dumping on yours by his act so you might say he is trespassing. BUT, A judge would not be happy if either of you bring this cause to court. Make peace with your neighbor. Tell him you are sorry for your tree causing him so much grief but that you are too old to do anything about it and you do so love your tree and aren't willing to part with it. And since you know the leaves and limbs originate from your tree, find some forgiveness in your heart for him returning them to your yard.
Fidelity National Title Insurance Company
Fidelity National Title Insurance Company | Andrew Capelli
Well, imagine how you would feel if your neighbor did have trees, and when the leaves fell they all ended up in your yard. No matter how old your neighbor is, wouldn't you be upset? If all the leaves, twigs, branches, etc. are from your property, why should you be mad that they end up back on your property? Be a good neighbor and hire a service to clean up your yard. If you can't afford it, stop complaining. Just because you're 88 doesn't mean you have no responsibility for the situation.
William Bidwell, Attorney at Law | Bill Bidwell
Nice guy! I am glad that I do not have neighbors like him. Explain to the jerk that you are 88 years old. Whoever cleans your yard can clean everything at once and after the leaves are blown back on your yard. You have no claim against him because the leaves and twigs derived from your trees.