Is it legal for my manager to alter my timesheet and why? 2 Answers as of August 20, 2015

I have been working for a company for 3 1/2 yrs. When I was first hired I was told that when a manager was working on a Sunday (which is a 7 to 7 1/2 hr shift) we were not allowed to clock out and take a lunch. We were only allowed a 15 min break. I just recently found out that for the past 3 1/2 yrs my senior manager has been altering my time (clocking me out for an hr lunch even though I had not taken one) is this allowed?

S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
If the terms of your work agreement were that you were only to take a 15 break over a 7 1/2 shift and you complied with this rule, then your senior manager was wrong to change your time records to show that you took an hour break. If you have the proof that you did not take 1 hour breaks, you should confront your employer with it and see if they will pay you the time you deserve to be paid. If they don't you might consider an action under the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Pennsylvania Wage Payment Law or simply a suit for breach of contract and fraud against your employer.
WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
In GA, it is not illegal for him to change the time sheet. They are company documents, not public records. It may be a violation of a company rule, but not GA law. But it is illegal to not pay you for time worked. I suggest you contact: Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor http://www.wagehour.dol.gov/ They have investigators that handle such questions. Your question does not identify your state. This response is based on Georgia law. If you are in a state other than GA, resubmit your question, and identify your state. The laws are different in other states, but the Wage and Hour laws apply in every state.