Is it legal for my landlord’s boyfriend whose name is not on my lease to contact me about my lease and money owed? 8 Answers as of August 01, 2013

He’s texting me and talking about things stated in my lease. His name is not on my lease.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
It is acceptable for a landlord to utilize an agent. If the landlord's boyfriend is acting as agent, you might want to have this confirmed by the landlord in writing. If the landlord provides a statement acknowledging this, it helps protect you in the event something happens between the two of them. I doubt there is a written agency agreement between them. Written confirmation helps protect you. I would never pay the boyfriend any rent unless clearly instructed by the landlord to do so and demand such instructions in writing, otherwise I would always be sure to pay the landlord as the landlord instructs according to the lease, and any notices required or needed to be given, I would also be sure to give them to the landlord directly. It is acceptable as a matter of agency, but as a practical matter, these things don't always work out. You should consider protecting yourself first.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/1/2013
Law Office of Jacob R. Lauser
Law Office of Jacob R. Lauser | Jacob R. Lauser
Not really. You could inform him that you are not comfortable dealing with him without a power of attorney stating that he is your landlord's official representative. Otherwise, it probably isn't best to be dealing with a third party without some proof that they are the representative, or without getting receipts and doing all correspondence in writing.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 8/1/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
If he is working for your landlord, then yes it is legal.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 8/1/2013
The Krone Law Firm, LLC | Norman B. Krone
If authorized by your Landlord, his calls are legal.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/1/2013
Rockhill Pinnick LLP | Jay Rigdon
Your landlord can have an agent work for them, just as the President of the bank can hire an employee to contact you about a delinquent loan. Nothing wrong with this.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 8/1/2013
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    He could be acting as the agent for the landlord, so yes.
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 8/1/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Yes, if he is the agent/representative/employee of your landlady. Pay her directly the day before your rent is do and you will never hear from him again.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/1/2013
    Stuart P Gelberg
    Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
    Nothing wrong per se if he is managing the property. Ask your landlord for clarification.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/1/2013
Click to View More Answers: