Is it legal for my landlord’s boyfriend whose name is not on my lease to contact me about my lease and money owed? 8 Answers as of August 01, 2013

He’s texting me and talking about things stated in my lease. His name is not on my lease.

Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
It is acceptable for a landlord to utilize an agent. If the landlord's boyfriend is acting as agent, you might want to have this confirmed by the landlord in writing. If the landlord provides a statement acknowledging this, it helps protect you in the event something happens between the two of them. I doubt there is a written agency agreement between them. Written confirmation helps protect you. I would never pay the boyfriend any rent unless clearly instructed by the landlord to do so and demand such instructions in writing, otherwise I would always be sure to pay the landlord as the landlord instructs according to the lease, and any notices required or needed to be given, I would also be sure to give them to the landlord directly. It is acceptable as a matter of agency, but as a practical matter, these things don't always work out. You should consider protecting yourself first.
Law Office of Jacob R. Lauser
Law Office of Jacob R. Lauser | Jacob R. Lauser
Not really. You could inform him that you are not comfortable dealing with him without a power of attorney stating that he is your landlord's official representative. Otherwise, it probably isn't best to be dealing with a third party without some proof that they are the representative, or without getting receipts and doing all correspondence in writing.
If he is working for your landlord, then yes it is legal.
The Krone Law Firm, LLC | Norman B. Krone
If authorized by your Landlord, his calls are legal.
Rockhill Pinnick LLP | Jay Rigdon
Your landlord can have an agent work for them, just as the President of the bank can hire an employee to contact you about a delinquent loan. Nothing wrong with this.
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    He could be acting as the agent for the landlord, so yes.
    Yes, if he is the agent/representative/employee of your landlady. Pay her directly the day before your rent is do and you will never hear from him again.
    Stuart P Gelberg
    Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
    Nothing wrong per se if he is managing the property. Ask your landlord for clarification.