Is it legal for my landlord to rent homes for the homeless? 1 Answers as of June 02, 2011

Land lord rents out hud houses, and homes that are in foreclosures to people who are homeless and vulnerable.

Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
It depends upon the state in which you live. My answer is qualified by the fact that I'm only licensed in Colorado. As for HUD, you would have to contact your local HUD office. HUD has specific regulations, and it does not sound as though that would be permissible, but HUD would know for sure. I'm not certain I understand the portion of your question about foreclosures. Is your Landlord the owner of a foreclosed upon home (awaiting sale) or is he/she renting someone else's foreclosed home? The owner of the home, presumably the bank, is the person who would control allowing the landlord to use the home in this fashion. I am not aware of any Colorado laws forbidding people to rent homes to a person just because he or she is homeless. A person who is homeless has the same rights as anyone else to file a consumer complaint with the appropriate agency. Hope this helps.