Is it legal for my girlfriends mom to have say over when I see my baby? 1 Answers as of July 06, 2011

I am 17 years old and so is my girlfriend. Our daughter is about to be born and my girlfriend’s mom is saying that since her daughter isn't 18 yet she has the say so over when I get to see the baby. Her mom is saying that the baby can’t spend the night with me and I can only see her every other week. Is this legally okay? I don’t understand how she can have control over my girlfriend’s daughter and me.

Law Office of James Lentz
Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
Your girlfriend's mother's authority only comes from your girlfriend. Until a court of competent jurisdiction orders to the contrary, your girlfriend will be the sole residential and custodial parent. Many men today insist on a joint order permitting them equal authority. Often, courts wil order shared parenting if the joint order is refused. Please see a domestic relations attorney soon to discuss your rights as a single father.