Is it legal for my ex to hire a private detective to break into my email for divorce purposes? 9 Answers as of August 27, 2015

My husband has hired a private detective to follow me, broken into my employment email and has been monitoring all my emails for months. He has also broken into my personal email accounts. Is this legal? Can he break into my employer's email server and just monitor my emails?

James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Its illegal and potentially criminal for your husband and the private detective to do this without a court order.. Tell your employer what happened and ask your employer to prosecute your husband and his agent (e.g. the detective).
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
Sounds like you may want to contact law enforcement to see if any laws have been broken.
Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
No; Notify your employer and the police department
The laws of most states prohibit some of the actions you mention, such as hacking into another person's computer or system. If the divorce has already been commenced, and he is under orders not to impose on your liberty or harass you, then his acts are even worse. Consult an experienced family law attorneyand one who is not chary of looking into the criminal aspects of the case as well.
Law Offices of Robert Burns
Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
You described multiple criminal offenses and civil invasions of privacy.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    I do not believe any of that is legal but you should probably consult with a criminal attorney to see if you can file charges. I am relatively sure your employer could file charges.
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    It is legal for your husband to hire a private detective. However, that detective may be breaking the law if he is getting this information by illegal means such as hacking. Discuss this with your attorney.
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    That would be a no.
    Your question suggests that a crime may have been committed. Please report this to the police and file a complaint.. Also retain the services of an experienced family law attorney to procure restraining orders.