Is it legal for me to sign a check for my fiance child support? 12 Answers as of March 04, 2014

My fiance's ex-wife is displeased that I write the check for the child support that he provides for his kids. We have a joint bank account and I manage our finances. Is there any risk for me signing the checks instead of him?

Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
No, it doesn't matter who writes the check or signs the check. It only matters that the child support is being paid.
Atticus Family Law
Atticus Family Law | Matthew Ludt
It is legal for you to sign the check. There is no risk to you for doing so. While it appears that she is displeased with her ex-husband's non-involvement in paying the support for his children, she is receiving the support and should not care how it gets from him to her.
No, she is getting the money, that is all that matters.
The more appropriate psychological framework would be for your fiance to sign the checks. It is his children and it is his responsibility to support them.
Beermann Pritikin Mirabelli Swerdlove LLP
Beermann Pritikin Mirabelli Swerdlove LLP | Michael C. Craven
There is no problem for you to sign the check.
    Law Offices of Laura M Urbik Kern | Laura M Urbik Kern
    No, you have a joint account, he has agreed to your writing the checks so no problem.
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    If you have a joint account that would probably be fine.
    I do not believe so, but need the details.
    Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
    There is nothing wrong with that as long as the correct amount is sent and it is on time.
    No, but if you don't mind a suggestion, you really should pay that from a separate account or just get a money order, why? Because at some point she will file for a modification for an increase happens all the time, now if they subpoena your bank statements it will just be extra work for you to show what he puts in there vs what you put in, now your income is never included in his child support calculation but you don't want some bozo making a mistake and imputing to much income to him, and it could happen, will it who knows , but you don't want the hassle trust me, so if you can set up a separate account for that or better still just use money orders that would be best, but if not, just make sure you can account for every penny you personally put in that account, understand and you will be ok.
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
    As long as he pays she has nothing to complain about. Who writes the check is not an issue.