Is it legal for a hospital to refuse release after attempted suicide? 3 Answers as of June 23, 2011

Can the hospital legally hold me after attempting suicide?

The short answer is yes in general they can hold you if they believe you are a danger to your self or others. however, i would need further details to determine the legality of the detention and for how long they might be able to detain you. A suicide attempt is a classic valid reason for detaining someone in a hospital for evaluation. It is sometimes called being on suicide watch.
Yes. You can demand to be released and then they must take you before a judge for a hearing within a certain number of days. I forget exactly how many. A few days. Less than a week, I think. You can then try to demonstrate to the judge that you are not a danger to yourself or others.
The hospital can keep you if two psychologists or psychiatrists agree that you need to be committed due to your condition. An attempted suicide qualifies for commitment. You are mentally ill, please cooperate with your doctors and take the medication they prescribe.