Is it legal for the government to detain files of great inventors and suppress technology all to maintain the status quo of the United States? 4 Answers as of July 16, 2013

Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
It all depends on what the technology is about, say for example nuclear weapons.
Yes, it may be legal, especially in a security situation or if the invention has the possibility of causing great physical or mental harm to the public.
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
No - that would be illegal. Also, I know of no such incidents.
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
That is a commonly held belief. Patents are filed by inventors, patent agents or patent attorneys. The patent office job is examine, PUBLISH and issue patent applications and patents. I don't know of any "suppression" of technology. This is especially true with the Internet and the ability of a person to notify the world about an invention. I am reminded of an episode on "Myth Busters" that tested many inventions for levitation and improvement of gas mileage. It is easy to make a statement about suppression of great technology, but again if there was a great improvement any anonymous person could post the improvement on the Internet without supression. Not unlike your question that is or will be posted for all to see.