Is it legal for everyone to take pictures in a strip club? 11 Answers as of January 21, 2014

I've heard strip clubs are private businesses and others say it's a public place. If a strip club is a public place, am I allowed to take pictures or videos of the topless or nude strippers for my enjoyment? Since the girls are getting naked or topless, doesn't that mean they don't have any rights to privacy by law? If it's a private business, is it legal to take pictures of the strippers on stage or anywhere in the establishment if there aren't any laws that prohibit pictures in a strip club? Or does it depend on which state I'm in (maybe some states may allow pictures while others do not).

Pictures that you can masturbate to later? I cannot imagine any strip club would allow it. The same way Disney World does not allow it, but you probably have never been to Disney World.
If the club allows it then it is OK. otherwise expect to get kicked out.
A strip club is a private business. Public places are streets, sidewalks, public parks, and the grounds around government buildings. There is no right to photographer anyone at a privately-owned business. The owner can give permission to photograph employees (who must agree to being photographed). The employer can not give permission to photograph independent contractors (the dancers, usually) unless each contractor specifically permits it ahead of time in a written contract. Don't ever assume that because a person (male or female) is undressed or partially dressed they have no right to privacy.
Entertainment Law Partners
Entertainment Law Partners | Tifanie Jodeh
Business owners are allowed to establish their own privacy policies in their establishments.
Contrary to what you have been told, a strip club is not a public place.... it is a private place, where the owner can deny anyone admission. If they have a policy of no pictures, and you take picture, yes, you can be sued. It doesn't matter what state you are in.
    Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
    It's a private business establishment, and they can limit your right to take pictures.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    No pics if owner/manager says no pics.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    A strip club is a private business-it is also a public accommodation, but that does not give you the right to take photographs of the dancers. Unless the strip club and the dancers provide written consent, it is illegal to take and use such photographs, even for your own enjoyment.
    Lawyer for Indie Media
    Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
    None of your assumptions are correct. A strip club is a private business in every state and you are not allowed to take pictures without the permission of the club owners, and with written permission of each person whom you photograph. Even if you have written permission to photograph them, you may not post the photos anywhere without also getting permission and you may not sell the photos. What happens in a strip club, stays in a strip club. If any particular club allows photos, they still have not likely cleared written permission with each performer, each employee of the club, and with each patron. You are likely to be sued or to have a criminal case filed against you.

A strip club, just like any shopping store, restaurant, bar, or club, is private property to which members of the public that meet certain criteria have been invited. The management makes the rules, as long as those rules do not violate the law. For example, a strip club cannot allow forms of entertainment that the law prohibits. It is very bad legally and business wise for a strip club to allow photography on its premises. Who wants to go out for a fun night and then end out with their picture on Facebook? Please learn to respect the process and boundaries of such forms of entertainment.

MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
    Unless management prohibits it feel free.