Is it legal for an agency to refuse providing treatment for employees exposed on health problems in their workplace? 11 Answers as of May 05, 2014

I work in the health care field, caring for two clients with a lot of skin to skin contact. One of my clients has been diagnosed with scabies, the doctor said everyone who has had contact must be treated as well. The agency I work for is refusing to provide treatment for the employees who have been exposed, we have been told if we contract the scabies they will turn the clam into workmen compensation. Is this legal to refuse treatment? I have many health problems and I am very concerned.

WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
Workers comp is the sole remedy under GA law.
It depends on the policy regarding health care.
It sounds to me to be a comp claim. If the employer refuses treatment, call the Alabama Dept of Labor. Good luck.
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
If your doctor has ordered treatment, get it. If WC refuses to pay, get a WC attorney. Make sure the doctor memorializes that you were exposed at work.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
Is there a treatment to prevent scabies, beside using universal precautions? If you are not injured then the employer has no responsibility for treating you for something that you don't have? I suppose you could make a complaint to OSHA.
    I may not understand. You don't need treatment unless you have the disease. If any medical care actually needed, I am sure it would be a proper comp case. See a good comp lawyer and look for another job where you will be appreciated better.
    Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
    Make a worker's compensation claim and see a doctor.
    I guess the problem is how do you treat a condition that has not occurred yet? If nothing else, you may want to contact OSHA or your state's version of OSHA to see what they say.
    File your own complaint with the Workman's Comp Board immediately.
    Boesen Law, LLC
    Boesen Law, LLC | Joseph J. Fraser III
    It certainly is true that, IF you contract a disease/infection from your work, you should be given treatment under workers' comp. I do not know of any requirement for prophylactic or preventive care. That could be addressed in your contract of employment.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    Your remedy for any injury arising from your employment is workers' compensation. The agency is acting properly by suggesting that your remedy is a workers' compensation claim (should you become sick). In addition, I presume that you have personal health insurance either through your employer or Obamacare. If so, your health insurance should cover any treatment that you need pending resolution of any claim for workers' compensation. Most importantly, it sounds like as of today you have not suffered any illness from contact with these patients and, therefore, you do not seem to have a viable claim. Workers' compensation is the appropriate remedy in this situation, and the agency has no obligation beyond this.