Is it lawful to make a child say the pledge of allegiance? 26 Answers as of July 09, 2013

I am wondering if it is against the law to force a child to say the pledge of allegiance in school? And would this be a violation of the child's constitutional rights?

It might depend upon what shool district and what school- public or private etc.
Reciting the pledge of allegance is a normal practice in school. If the child had a valid reason for not wanting to do it, the school may make accomidation. If you believe this is a issue worth pursuing, you should contact the local ACLU.
do not feel that a child can be compelled to recite the pledge of alligence or to be forced to pray in school. They should be allowed to remain in their chair, or even possibly leave the room.
Consult an attorney versed in Constitutional law. this is not a criminal case, but my guess in answering your question is that they can do NOTHING against your child, and if they try to, consult the ACLU in your jurisdiction.
No, a child cannot be forced to say the pledge (if they are in a public school). If it is a private school, then, yes, they could be required to do so.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    Federal rights would not permit the forcible recitation of the pledge of allegiance.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    That is one of those esoteric and theoretical questions that can only be answered after doing a detailed investigation of the surrounding facts and circumstances and then extensive legal research.
    There was a case in the Supreme Court where under the separation of church and state the words under God were removed from the pelage of allegiance in schools. Although peer pressure and school policy may make a child think that they must say the pledge of allegiance no one is required to make a pledge if they do not believe in it.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    I believe a child can refuse to say pledge based on freedom of religion and 1st amendment basis. My memory is that there was a case from the 60's involving an atheist.
    You can ask a child to say the pledge of allegiance but I do not believe you can use actual "force" on a child in school. The child has a constitutional right to refuse to pray, say the pledge of allegiance, or do anything that is not legally "required' by the school.
    I don't think anyone can be forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance.
    Betts Legal Services
    Betts Legal Services | Shawn M. Betts
    A child cannot be forced to say the pledge of allegiance if they do not want to. If they are forced to, there could potentially be a violation of their civil rights. Consult with a civil rights attorney or contact an ACLU chapter to speak to someone who has more expertise in that area.
    Halprin Law Office
    Halprin Law Office | Richard Halprin
    They cannot make the child recite the Pledge of Allegiance without violating 1st Amendment rights.
    It is not against any criminal penal codes to make a child recite the Pledge of Allegiance. However, there may be grounds for civil claims or civil rights violations.
    Law Office of Daniel K Martin
    Law Office of Daniel K Martin | Daniel K Martin
    It is a violation of First Amendment and Second Amendment if the school is a public school and the person forcing the child was acting as a government agent.
    If you are talking abot the "under God" phrase, that was litigated several years ago and the US Supreme Court said it was not unconstitutional to have that phrase in the pledge. What's wrong with saying the pledge?
    Yes it would. The ACLU has handled many cases like this. The problem is that unless the child was raised in a family who took the first amendment seriously he/she may not be able to withstand the hazing from "patriotic" classmates. Of course under the new rulesregarding hazing - when the school does nothing they can be sued - they may quickly put a stop to the hazing. Talk to the closest American Civil Liberties Union office. Good luck.
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
    Yes, they can't force you to say the pledge. UNLESS it is a private school. Then they can do whatever they want. At public schools it is illegal to force.
    Burdon and Merlitti
    Burdon and Merlitti | Adam Van Ho
    The United States Supreme Court has never addressed the question directly. As a general rule, if the child does not wish to say the pledge, then the parents should discuss those wishes with school officials. If school officials still insist that the child say the pledge, I would discuss the case and the specifics of the case with an attorney or a representative of a group like the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).
    Laguzzi Law, P.C.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C. | Carina Laguzzi
    This is not a criminal defense question. The short answer is it depends on where the child goes to school. Talk to the teacher about yoir concerns.
    Ask the ACLU. I believe in this country and in the Pledge of Allegiance. This is not a criminal law issue either. You are asking a question having to do with civil rights and Constitutional Law. As for me, I love this country and our Constitution and am proud to say the words ".one nation under God with liberty and justice for all."
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law
    Jonathan S. Willett Attorney at Law | Jonathan S. Willett
    There is a dispute as to weather the child is required to say "under God."
    This is not a criminal law question but a civil rights question. Does the child care or are you as the parent trying to make an issue putting the child in the middle.