Is it illegal to pretend to be someone that you are not on an online game? 25 Answers as of May 22, 2013

Hi, I am wondering that if I was talking to somebody for a fair amount of time on an online game and they possibly lied about their identity, is this a crime? I have been looking a lot into this and things add up to this guy giving out information of a girl (photos, locations, etc) and I would like to know if something can be done about this. Thank You.

Using a false name on line is probably not illegal unless you are making transactions or otherwise doing matters on-line that are illegal.
You should contact the provider. It is a violation of the agreement to use the service. It may also be a federal offense.
If the lie is used to defraud some one or for another illegal purpose then the answer is yes.
It is not illegal to use an false name to play a game online unless you are committing some crime such as theft or sending porn to a minor. You should be careful of anyone online and never give them your personal information so it is not unusual that they are using a false name, nickname, or assumed identity.
Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
It depends upon the nature of the online communication and whether or not you are able to prove that it was not true.
    T.K. Byrne | Timothy K. Byrne
    Probably not but need more facts.
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    I don't think anything has happened yet for which he could be prosecuted. Don't give out your name address or phone number. It should not be an issue if you have not given out more information. If he is harassing you contact the police.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    It could be. I would need to know what benefit he is gaining from the impersonation before I know for sure.
    Law Office of Mark Bruce
    Law Office of Mark Bruce | Mark Corwin Bruce
    Report it to the cops if you think that somehow by assuming a real person's identiy, the online gamer has incurred come liability for the real person.
    Law Office of James Gandy
    Law Office of James Gandy | James Gandy
    This depends entirely on why he is providing false information. If this is simply a trick or game with no benefit to him/herself, there is probably nothing illegal about what they are doing. They may be violating the terms of service of the game, however.
    Law Office of Ronald G. Draper | Ronald G. Draper
    I'm not certain of the entire scenario that you make reference too. Perhaps there is a basis to be suspicious. However, you have not stated that a crime has been committed with certainty.