Is it illegal to have a potato cannon (spud gun) in Darien, Illinois? 1 Answers as of March 25, 2013

I want to build and fire a potato cannon (spud gun) and I want to know if it's legal in Darien, Illinois.

Lawyer for Indie Media
Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
The Darien, Illinois, Municipal Code can be found online. Title 7 Health and Sanitation, Chapter 3 Nuisances 7-3-1- M prohibits any offensive noise. If the spud gun makes noise that your neighbors can hear, it is possibly a nuisance. Also, the nuisance section of this Code makes anything, even if not listed or defined, a nuisance if it infringes on anyone else's rights. Therefore if this spud gun is making noise or shooting onto anyone else's property, it is likely a nuisance. If not, you are probably okay, as long as children too young are not using it and as long as it is constructed so it is safe.