Is it illegal to get married under false pretenses? 1 Answers as of July 30, 2011

I recently learned during a joint session with my therapist that my former fiancee asked me to marry him, even gave me a ring, for the express purpose of having leverage for his divorce custody hearings. His now exwife and ex mother in law wanted full custody. Once it became apparent that he would get 50% custody he became cold, distant, stopped physical intimacy, unwilling to make wedding plans. I broke up with him because it got so bad. Now, 7 months later he admitted, during a joint therapy session, that indeed that was his reason for getting serious with me and "I said what I needed to say to X" in order to get her to agree to marry me. Shouldn't this be illegal? My mental health has suffered immensely. I'm devastated. Thanks for considering my question.

Fredric H. Aaron, Attorney at Law, P.C.
Fredric H. Aaron, Attorney at Law, P.C. | Fredric Harlan Aaron
From your question, it sounds like you never married this man. If this is the case, considering the circumstances, you should probably consider yourself lucky you didn't go any further in your relationship with him. Unfortunately, there is nothing illegal in what he did, although it sounds highly immoral.