Is it illegal to film police in California? 3 Answers as of March 25, 2013

Police broke in my apartment, scared my girl. They were messing all sorts of stuff up, looking for something, and I asked them if they could be careful with my stuff. I took out my cell phone and used it to record how violent they were being with my stuff and one of the cop grabbed my phone and took it from me.

It is completely legal. The police have no right to prevent their actions from being videotaped.
It is if they tell you to stop.
Rizio & Nelson
Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
You have a right to film police, but you don't have a right to interfere with them while they're doing their jobs. If you can film them without interfering in any way, film away, my friend. Of course, cops are always going to try to intimidate you. They're going to threaten you and make your life miserable, but you haven't broken any laws if all you did was film them in a public place. That being said, you may not use a hidden recording device to film anyone. Make sure the recording device is in plain sight and remember not to interfere with the police in any way.