Is it illegal for a restaurant to not accept coupon for discount before expiration? 1 Answers as of April 10, 2017

I went to an event and got a coupon code for a free meal booking (expiration of February 28, 2017) - however, when I used the coupon to book the meal, it shows as invalid. I contacted support and they said there was a limit to the use of the coupon and the number was hit. There was no indication on the coupon or when it was given out that it was a limited use (that first 100 booking and becomes invalid). Do they have any obligation to honor the coupon that was given out?

Lawyer for Independent Media
Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
It is past the expiration date you mention. Are you complaining about something that happened before that date? If so, where did this happen? The location is important because local laws may affect the answer. The only place I have seen use of the term "meal booking" is in colleges in the United Kingdom. Without knowing the details or location, it is not possible to know what laws might be in effect. However, usually in most cases, such a coupon is not considered a contract offer, but is simply considered a promotion. There would be no obligation to honor the coupon. However, in most places, if a business hands out such coupons as a form of "bait and switch," where they lure in customers to try to sell them something more expensive or less desirable, then this may be a deceptive business practice that should be reported to a local Better Business Bureau, a Chamber of Commerce, and possibly to the Federal Trade Commission.