Is it illegal for me to claim my child for college scholarship purposes? How? 1 Answers as of July 02, 2015

Is it illegal for me to claim my child for college/scholarship purposes? The father typically claims him. I make significantly less money and my son would be eligible for assistance/scholarships, grants etc. if I were to claim him, but I do not want to do anything wrong or get into trouble or do anything illegal. In our divorce agreement the father claims him, we have joint custody of our son.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
So long as you and his father agree in writing, and between the two of you (and your spouses if any) you provide a majority of his support, either one of you can claim him as a dependent for income tax purposes.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/2/2015
Click to View More Answers: