Is it a hit and run if I told my manager about it? 1 Answers as of March 06, 2017

Yesterday, I accidentally hit a car while leaving work. The car was parked right behind me kind of blocking me in and not in a parking spot. I work with the guy who owns the car. My manager seen it happen and I asked her to tell the guy what happened and that I would give him all my information today because I had to get my daughter to the doctor. She told him but his father who is a cop made a police report and is charging me with a hit and run. He knew it was me and how to get in touch with me to get all of my information. Would it be considered his own fault for partially blocking me in and not being in an actual parking spot? I'm not sure what to do as I've never been in this situation before.

First: I would try that case because I doubt the statute applies in a parking lot. Second, even if it does (I'm not researching for this answer), you gave notice, and you had to take your child to a doctor. If a Judge were to convict you, appeal the case to a jury trial. I just don't see twelve jurors saying guilty under your facts. Finally, you have a legitimate argument that contributory negligence prohibits civil recovery. Alabama is one of the last states to have this law, but it inures to your benefit under your stated facts.