Is it hard to file bankruptcy on your own? 11 Answers as of May 05, 2015

That depends on your situation. If you have no assets and little income, it much easier than someone with a complex situation.
Sorry for the delay, I missed this one. People do do it themselves. Some courts have a self help clinic. I do not recommend this unless you have very few assets.
Some people can successfully file a chapter 7. I would not recommend even attempting to file a chapter 13 or 11 without an experience bankruptcy attorney.
Depends if you understand the process. If you do not, then you will find the process difficult and most trustees do not like pro se filings, so the trustee may be difficult as well.
Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
It is easy to file a bankruptcy petition but hard to do it right. Call your local bar association and get a referral to a bankruptcy lawyer before you do anything.
    Tokarska Law Center
    Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
    It can be, just depends on the ability of the person and whether they have the time and inclination to do research and figure things out. It also depends on what the case itself involves, whether there are some issues that may be problematic. When you file your own case you're relying on your own knowledge and understanding of what needs to be done, how, and when. If you mess up you can't use "I didn't know" as an excuse.
    Yes and no. It depends. Can you muddle through all the paperwork and deadlines?
    Law Offices of Daniel J Winter
    Law Offices of Daniel J Winter | Daniel J Winter
    Yes; there are many technical requirements that could trip you up. And, you would need guidance on what exactly it will and won't do. Call a lawyer now; most offer free consultations.
    No, it is easy to file but difficult to complete properly and successfully.
    Most attorneys that lack bankruptcy experience would say that for them, it is hard. With more than 30 years of bankruptcy experience, I continue to take at least 20 hours of professional education to maintain my skills to represent people in bankruptcy court.
    It depends. In the simplest cases e.g. no real estate, no secured debt, annual income below the median for your state (relative to the size of your household), no risk of having to dispute claim that a particular creditor's claim is one of those excepted from discharge, then you could perhaps represent yourself. But it's not generally a good idea. There are many pitfalls, and the cost of retaining an experienced bankruptcy lawyer to advise and represent you is usually a good investment. Good Luck.