Is it a ground for civil suit if my niece owes me for 35 months of full time in-house childcare for her son who lived with us? 2 Answers as of May 04, 2016

She cheerfully agreed to pay $100 per month more when she could. No problem. It wasn’t and she didn’t. Her mother left her $75,000 last year on her death. Now she says she never said shed pay any child support.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
Yes, you can sue, but there are difficulties. It appears that you have an oral agreement. There is nothing wrong with an oral agreement, but can you prove it other than saying you two entered into it? Hopefully, you kept a ledger for any payments made or have copies of any receipt you gave to her when she made payments, or a canceled check. You may have other indicia of the agreement not listed here such as independent witnesses who would testify she had entered into this agreement. Your situation is one more example why when you help another that you put it in writing. As the old saying goes, 'no good deed goes unpunished." So, yes, you can win but you might lose. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 5/4/2016
Kevin H Pate
Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
You could take her to small claims court, or you could decide family is family.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 5/2/2016
Click to View More Answers: