Is it faster if I filed my father's adjustment of status in the USA or in Mexico? 3 Answers as of November 12, 2014

I am a US citizen and I would like to apply for a green card for my father. He lives in Mexico and he currently has a valid visa to enter the USA. He has never had a problem with immigration and he has never stayed more than 6 months when he visited the country. My question is if it is faster for him to get his green card if he applies inside the USA and filed the form 1-485 for adjustment of status or if it is the same amount of time if I make the petition and he waits in Mexico? Is there a timing difference?

Morales & O'Connor, PLLC
Morales & O'Connor, PLLC | Myron Morales
Normally, adjustment in the US is faster, but there are some concerns if he enters for the sole purpose of adjustment of status. On average, we see in country adjustment taking 6 months while consular processing takes about 1 year.
Yes, it is faster to do adjustment of status in the US than go through consular processing; however, if he is not already in the US, he cannot enter the US with the intent of adjusting status right away. If he enters as a visitor, you have to wait at least 90 days before you start the process so that it does not look like misrepresentation of intent at the time of entry.
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
It is easier and quicker if he files for adjustment of status while in the US. Just consult with an experienced immigration lawyer before applying.