Is it difficult to get a proprietary software license? 1 Answers as of June 30, 2010

I develop software in my free time. Is it difficult to get a proprietary software license? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a proprietary software license?

Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
Software licenses are not difficult to obtain, but are difficult to enforce. When you develop software, you are creating computer code which is copyrightable. This allows you to prevent others from using your software, unless you license them to do so. Your license agreement, commonly encountered during the installation phase of your software, creates a contract between you, the developer or publisher, and the end user. This license can define the intended use of the software, and can limit what the end user can and can't do with your software. As we all know, software piracy runs rampant, and although most software that is pirated contains some sort of software license, that does not prevent it's unauthorized distribution or unauthorized use. While copyright protection and license agreements are powerful tools to protect your intellectual property, they aren't always enough. If you really want to protect your software, you need to obtain a patent.