Is it difficult to get a green card for adopted children? 6 Answers as of December 15, 2010

Is it difficult to get a green card for adopted children?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The answer to that question is no. Once you have obtained the legal order authorizing the adoption in the child's country of origin, you must immediately file an I-600 petition for a residence petition for the child, who will be subject to an I-604 orphan investigation at the U.S. embassy or consulate, which if it's approved, allow you to bring the child to the USA to live permanently in the country. Once she has entered the USA, the child should be automatically deemed a U.S. citizen, and a certificate recognizing the fact should be issued to the parents of the child within 45 days.

If you have any further questions, or there is any other way I can be of help, please contact me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/15/2010
Naziri Hanassab LLP
Naziri Hanassab LLP | Vahid Naziri
You can get a green card for adopted children from foreign countries, however, it depends on the country and the circumstances. Need to contact our office to discuss your situation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/7/2010
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
It is fairly difficult for someone who has no experience to file this documentation and get it approved. However, if you hire my office, our immigration attorney who routinely handles these types of case can file all the paperwork for you so that your adopted child gets a green card as soon as possible. Feel free to contact our office if you want to proceed with this process.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/3/2010
Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC
Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC | Kirk A. Carter
Yes it can be. In order to sponsor an adopted child for a green card the child must have been adopted prior to the age of 16 and have lived with the adoptive parents in their legal custody for two years before being sponsored for a green card. Unless the child is here in the US, the legal custody requirement can often be very difficult to satisfy. Adoption standards in many foreign countries often do not meet the standards that the US government requires. Adoption of orphan children through traditional adoption agencies do not typically encounter these issues and have a much easier time as the adoption of orphans are subject to different rules.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 12/2/2010
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Not as long you adopted them before they turned 16 years old.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/2/2010
Click to View More Answers: