Is it the county or its employee who's responsible for our venue trouble? 2 Answers as of January 16, 2014

I met with a county employee and reserved a venue in April 2013. At several meetings and conversations, I asked her, and another employee, if we would be able to have beer and wine and was told yes (they confirm this). Now, after invitations have been printed, etc., and it is too late to change venues, they are saying I cannot have beer and wine without approval from the county commissioners (and they are saying it doesn't look favorable). Is the county responsible for what their employee (actually two of them) tells me?

It is pretty much standard practice to require users of government venues to obtain a liquor permit in order to have alcohol at the event. About all you can do is meet with the county commissioners and explain why serving alcohol is an important part of your plans and what you will do to make sure no one abuses it.
Lawyer for Indie Media
Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
If you are suing them, your lawsuit will name the county, its officials, as well as the employees. The court will sort it out. In permitting processes such as this, it may be that an agency appeal must be made before any court case is filed. Talk to your lawyer about this. This is most likely. There may be a strict deadline on such an appeal, sometimes as short as one calendar week. But right now, this is not your main problem. Your problem is either getting permission now to have alcohol, or finding a new venue for April. You will most likely need to get a privately-owned venue. These exist. Get a move on. Look to places such as polo grounds, private festival grounds, private parks.