Is it better to marry in the US or abroad? 10 Answers as of June 26, 2013

I'm a US citizen, and my fiance is a Chinese citizen. She works in HK and she can't leave HK for more than 2 weeks at a time. We want to get married and live in the US, but she needs to have a job in the US before she moves. We think the best way is for her to get her green card first before moving to the US. We can get married either in US or HK (she just received a visitor's visa to the US good for one year), which one is the better move? Is there a material difference in cost between the two methods?

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
If you marry then you can bring your spouse to the U.S. as a permanent resident. It takes 9 to 12 months for the entire process. Call us if you are seeking counsel to help with the matter.
Law Office of Felipe A. Malo, P.A.
Law Office of Felipe A. Malo, P.A. | Felipe Augusto Malo
5 mths in USA and 1490 immigration fees 12 mths abroad and 912 immigration fees Since she's from china I suggest doing it here in USA
Yoo & Lee, LLP
Yoo & Lee, LLP | Winston W. Lee
In her case, it's probably better for you to get married in HK and then petition for her. If you want more information, you can contact our office.
The-Immigration-Lawyer.com, PC
The-Immigration-Lawyer.com, PC | Scott D. Mills
The Hong Kong embassy is very difficult to deal with. It will be better for you to marry in the US. The day you are married we can file for her residency and her greencard will be available quickly (usually 6 to 8 weeks).
Marry wherever you like and make sure you hire an immigration attorney for a smooth process. Let us know if we can help.
    Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
    Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
    It does not matter where you marry. You should speak with an immigration attorney about filing for the green card. For a free consultation feel free to contact my office.
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
    It doesn't make a difference. The whole point of getting married in the US and filing paperwork in the US, is so that the alien relative can stay in the country while paperwork is pending. If she can only be here for 2 weeks, even if you get married here, all the paperwork would still have to be filed to the US consulate abroad because the related investigation cannot be done in the US (i.e. background check, interview, random visits to your home to determine that the marriage is real, calling references, etc.).
    Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices
    Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices | Hans Burgos
    If you both decide to get married in China, you would need to file a Petition for Relative (Form I-130) with the USCIS, then file an Application for a Non-immigrant K-3 Visa (Form I-129), process the K before the US Consulate in HK, and finally, have her file an Application for Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) upon her arriving in the US. If you get married in the US after her being admitted as tourist, you would both file a "one step" package with the USCIS including the Form I-130, Form I-485 and an Application for Work Authorization (Form I-765) allowing your wife to work while her petitions is pending. It would take the USCIS approximately 6 months to adjudicate the "one step" package.
    Filing fees are slightly less if you file outside the U.S. You will be filing a K-3, spouse visa.
    There is no difference where you marry. However, whether your petition will be approved depend on your petition packet showing your marriage meets the requirement of immigration law. You have to burden to prove this. If you have no clue, you should hire an attorney to help you.