Is it better to adjust my visa status or do I have to go home and reapply? 4 Answers as of June 21, 2011

I entered the US on a B2 to meet my sisters on my paid leave from my employer. I have done MS Computer Science from Pakistan and am doing very good job there, I am planning to get admission in Master in Computer Science Program in USA. What is best way to do this? Should I go back and apply from Islamabad-Pakistan or apply now for change of status while in USA ? My I-94 expiring in Oct 2011 since I didn't have any intention to study when entered USA.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You may apply for change of status, through your getting admitted by a university for the Masters program, and they complete an I-20 for the F-1 visa. You are to couple the F-1 visa application, along with a change of status application under I-901, and I-539, pay the fees for both the I-20 and I-901 (about $450, along with $290 more for the I-539), and file it with CIS, where they will process it, over about a 3-5 month period. The danger is that you will be declined if you contact such a university within 45 days of your arrival, and file for change of status for F-1 within 60 days of arrival with the B-2. CIS looks very dimly at a person just using the B-2 visa to get a student visa, sounds like fraud to them. If you can do so, make the application through your consulate, and allow CIS to forward the document package to the U.S. consulate nearest your home. But if you already have been admitted at university, you might be able to pull it off. Check with your ISO, and assuming they don't want to help you with your change of status application, feel free to call or e-mail to set up a phone or in-person consultation. One hour is with a $75 fee, which is credited to you if you contract with me for services.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/21/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Because you have a status as a visitor in the US, normally you should be able to change your status within the US. Decide which school you want to apply to and go see the International Student Office at that school. The DSO will walk you through the process of registering with the school and if at that time it becomes necessary for you to leave and re-enter the US on a F-1 visa, then so be it. I don't think you will have to do that, you should be able to complete the process here. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/21/2011
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC | Daniella Lyttle
If you wish to try for a student visa you must start the process ASAP and you should use an immigration lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/20/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
If your I-94 has not expired, then you are eligible to change your status inside the U.S. You can change your status to an F-1 student visa. If you need my office to assist you, please contact.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: