Is form JV 180 the correct form to use for my teenager to request living with one parent? 1 Answers as of May 11, 2011

My son's does not want to live with his father part time anymore. We have discussed in detail that he needs clear reasons that do not involve rules he doesn't like or general complaints. We also discussed that he would not be opting to never see his dad, that he would have more freedom to choose. I can find the law and general information but not the actual form. He has good reasons, there is a history of domestic violence and emotional abuse - however the courts just keep ordering anger management. He is 15 - he's a good kid, stays out of trouble. His 13 y.o brother wants to continue to protect their 6 y.o. brother. Yes CPS and counselors have been involved with no resolution.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of L. Paul Zahn
Law Office of L. Paul Zahn | Paul Zahn
That is not a proper form to use in a family law case. You can only file a motion for a modification. If the court doesn't want to suspend visitation, then there isn't anything that can be done to suspend it, however at age 15, I have found that most courts won't force a child to visit a parent.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/11/2011
Click to View More Answers: