Is forfeiture the same as foreclosure in terms of tax law? 5 Answers as of December 03, 2010

I am really behind on my taxes, and the IRS says my property is forfeiture. Does this mean they are going to foreclose my home?

David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
It could be.
Mankus & Marchan, LTD
Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
Forefeiture and foreclosure are two separate legal proceedings. A forfeiture is usually only done when there is an allegation of criminal activity. A foreclosure can be done by the bank lender (mortgagee) or by IRS, if they have a lien filed against the property. If you owe money to IRS, they might have threatened a "seizure" of your property, which is different form a foreclosure or a forefeiture. You should seek a tax attorney to help you negotiate a settlement with IRS.
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
The answer is no.
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
Forfeiture is different than foreclosure. Foreclosure is when you don't pay your mortgage whereas forfeiture is when you don't pay your taxes so it is different. The IRS will sell your property to satisfy the debt.
Givner & Kaye
Givner & Kaye | Bruce Givner
The IRS can ultimately foreclose on your home if you fail to pay taxes. However, that is not what the IRS wants to do. The IRS wants you to pay the tax. So the IRS would prefer to work out a payment plan with you.

A foreclosure has the same income tax consequence as a sale. A forfeiture has the same income tax consequence as a sale.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: Tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is neither intended, nor written to be used, and cannot be used, to avoid penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or to promote, market or recommend to anyone a transaction or matter addressed in this communication.

This e-mail is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521 and is legally privileged.

This information is confidential information and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this electronic message to the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail or telephone (310-207-8008) and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk or otherwise. Thank you.