Is filing for bankruptcy part of the public record? 11 Answers as of December 15, 2010

I know anyone who checks my credit report will be able to see that I have filed for bankruptcy, but other than that is bankruptcy public record? As in, when I apply for jobs, will my potential employers see that I filed for bankruptcy?

David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law
David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law | David R. Fondren
Yes it is public.
George Hoselton Bankruptcy Attorney
George Hoselton Bankruptcy Attorney | George Hoselton
Yes, once a bankruptcy is filed, it becomes public record. That depends on the type of background check they do, but yes it could appear on a background check if you file.
Masson & Fatini, LLP
Masson & Fatini, LLP | Susan Fatini -Masson
Yes, filing for bankruptcy is a part of the public record. If a potential employer conducts a background check, a bankruptcy will be revealed as well as all other legal filings. Currently employers can deny prospective employees employment because of a bankruptcy. This is especially common when a job requires an employ to be bonded or carry other insurance. However, an employer may not fire an employee for filing bankruptcy; that is considered to be an illegal form of discrimination.

Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent others from finding out that you have filed for bankruptcy. Present and future employers have the right to review items that concern their (potential) employees that are a matter of the public record. Bankruptcy is always public record.

Should you need any further information, please feel free to contact our offices.
DiManna Law Office, LLC.
DiManna Law Office, LLC. | Dawn DiManna
Anyone can access the Bankruptcy records electronically. An employer could search, but usually an employer would just ask on an application.
The Shakoori Law Group
The Shakoori Law Group | Rachelle Shakoori
Yes it is a public record.
    Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
    Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
    Your credit report and the bankruptcy court will have the record of your bankruptcy filing. Any potential employer could check these records, with your consent, prior to employment.
    Gus Johnson Attorney at Law
    Gus Johnson Attorney at Law | Gus Johnson
    Absolutely it is a public record.
    Answer Applies to: South Dakota
    Mankus & Marchan, LTD
    Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
    Filing of bankruptcy is a public record. It usually shows up in your credit report and sometimes in the legal notices section of your local newspapers. Some potential employers do background check, including credit reports.
    Yes, they are public records but someone would have to go to the bankruptcy record to find it.
    Yes, bankruptcy is a matter of public record. But you would have to look for it and know where to look for it, and there's no reason to believe most people would. But yes, a potential employer could find out you filed bankruptcy, if that meant anything to them.