Is the email I sent enough to prevent automatic renewal of a lease? 8 Answers as of May 02, 2014

Hello. I have a lease that has a clause stating if not contacted within 60 days of the lease ending with an intent to vacate, the lease renews with the same terms essentially. I sent an e-mail (which I have) around 90 days before stating I will not be renewing the lease. The auto renewal clause states states I must give "written notice," but I cannot see anywhere where it specifies what written means certified mail, e-mail, horse drawn carriage? I'm assuming e-mail is sufficient since he has responded several times to my e-mails in a relatively quick manner. His e-mail is on the lease, and it was well within the time frame of 60 days. Am I in the wrong?

Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell | Andrellos Mitchell
To prevent the renewal, use the method described in the lease. Write a letter. An e-mail is an electronic transmission. However, e-mail is probably sufficient, but why take a chance? When you assume matters concerning a lease, you act or don't act at your own risk. Your rights and responsibilities emanate from the terms of the lease. So follow the terms exactly as stated in the lease.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Sounds like the e-mail was effective. Have you talked with him about leaving? Has he confirmed that he knows you are leaving? Call and double check his attitude.
Should be sufficient but I would put it in writing as well.
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
Based on the circumstances you describe, your email notification is fine, assuming that the lease does not have any specific and inconsistent provisions regarding the manner of giving notice.
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
It is odd that there is no language about where to give notice. That is a standard clause in 99.99% of leases. Check to see if there is a clause regarding notice. In an abundance of caution, send your notice by certified, registered mail.
    Carlson & Cohen, LLP | Morgan Halford
    If the Lease Agreement does not specify the form of the written notice, it is likely that your email would suffice to constitute written notice under the terms of the Lease. If you want to cover your bases, I would suggest sending a letter, by first class and certified mail. Then there is no question. But, from the face of your question, I would say that the email is sufficient.
    The subject of automatic renewals has come up a lot recently and my feeling is, that other than the conversion to a month to month tenancy they are an invalid measure and that the correct way to renew the lease is to amend or addend it with both parties written agreement and signatures. Where you don't want to continue the lease, I would not want to rely on an email, tough it out and actually mail a letter. If you can hand it to your landlord, if not registered or certified mail is the way to go.