Is DUI with injury a felony or misdemeanor in CA? 13 Answers as of October 06, 2010

I was arrested for a DUI with injury. I had a few drinks about 2 hours before the accident. I was driving along a canyon road back to my house and rear ended another car. I barely even hit the other car. Is this going to be a felony or a misdemeanor? My BAC was .09.

It could be either and is entirely up to the prosecutor. You could face VC 23152 misdemeanor, VC 23153 misdemeanor, or VC 23153 felony, so there are 3 possibilities. It is good you have a low BAC. You need a lawyer who will be in contact with the prosecutor ASAP.
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
It can be either a felony or a misdemeanor depending on the the discretion of the DA.
Steven Mandell
Steven Mandell | Law Offices of Steven Mandell
It can be charged either way, at the discretion of the prosecutor. The degree of injuries to the others, the seriousness of the accident, your blood alcohol concentration, and many other factors will be considered in the filing decision. Once filed, it is possible to have it reduced. You should immediately see a criminal lawyer experienced in DUI and DMV matters. You must take a step with the DMV within 10 days of your arrest or you lose substantial rights. If you would like to talk to me about it, don't hesitate to call. I offer free consultations. Good luck.
Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law
Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law | Alanna D. Coopersmith
DUI with an injury can be charged as either a felony or misdemeanor. It is not enough that there by property damage; there must be a bodily injury.
The English Law Firm
The English Law Firm | Robert English
This type of case is a wobbler. It can be charged as either depending on the degree of injury and the circumstances of the case. With a low BAC, you may have defenses to the matter and you need to speak to an attorney about the specifics of your case. Call my office for assistance.
    Hale Law Group
    Hale Law Group | Joshua D. Hale
    It depends on what happened to the other driver. It is possible that it will be misdemeanor, but it very likely could be felony if they have any medical bills.

Call my office at your first convenience so we can determine how Hale Law Group can help you through this.
    Law Offices of Ramona Hallam
    Law Offices of Ramona Hallam | Ramona Hallam
    There is no way to tell if they will charge you with a felony or misdemeanor. A few indications might be whether the bail they set was high, whether the other party was badly injured and perhaps transported by ambulance, or whether you have priors. These things tend to indicate that you will have a felony charge, but are not conclusive. If the person hit dies the next day from a hemorrhage from his head hitting the dash, the DA can always charge it up- and will! The best thing you can do is retain counsel because of the severity of the charge and the likelihood that, felony or misdemeanor) you will be dealt with as a public menace.
    You did not say what the injury was. An injury in a DUI is an enhancement but not always a felony. Contact me with all the facts so we can determine your options together.
    Law Office of Lindsey McGregor
    Law Office of Lindsey McGregor | Lindsey McGregor
    It can be filed as a misdemeanor or a felony. It is up to the prosecuting agency. However, if the injuries are not severe and it is your first DUI, it will likely be charged as a misdemeanor. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    DUI with injury (Vehicle Code section 25153) is a "wobbler" - meaning it can be charged either as a felony or a misdemeanor at the prosecutors discretion. First, there must be injury they can prove. From what you describe, I assume the injuries, if any, were minor. Although I cannot guarantee it, it sounds like you'll be charged with a misdemeanor.
    The Law Office of Denis White
    The Law Office of Denis White | Denis Hurley White Jr.
    The District Attorney gets to make that call. It sounds like misdemeanor conduct though.
    DUI with injury is frequently charged as a felony, with potential for serious jail time, fines, loss of license, etc. Your counsel will know how and what to do to best represent you, using whatever credible facts and evidence you may have for motions and defenses at trial, if necessary. Most cases are “plea bargained” to avoid the risk of loss at trial and mandatory sentencing to the full term provided in the law upon conviction. The attorneys job is to get a good “deal” you can live with, or prepare for trial. If serious about doing this right, feel free to contact me.

Keep in mind: when you were charged with DUI, then upon release from jail or booking, you will be given documents that include a notice from DMV that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of the automatic suspension of your license. Contact DMV and do so, timely. You can hire an attorney for that hearing as well.