Is a divorce certificate valid if there is a spelling error? 2 Answers as of June 02, 2013

I can see a mismatch between the marriage and divorce certificate, but one letter is incorrect. Is this divorce certificate a valid one if it is like that?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Dunnings Law Firm
Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/2/2013
The DeRose Lawfirm | Peter J. DeRose
Your divorce is still valid. When you say a "divorce certificate" you must mean a judgment of divorce. A judgment in Michigan can be modified if the circumstances show a mutual mistake. Clearly in your situation, it appears that there is a mutual mistake. The divorce decree is a document that is used for many other things than a divorce. It can be later used to change the name on a license, state ID or a voters registration card. Additionally, there are statutory requirements contained within each judgment of divorce in Michigan relating to such things as dower, insurance, title to property etc. It clearly is in your best interest to petition the court to get the right name on the document. An experienced lawyer can assist you and the cost should be minimal.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/16/2012
Click to View More Answers: